Today we turn our clocks ahead!
As we have had a lot of local fires last week, here are some safety tips to consider to do TODAY when you move your clocks forward...
- Change smoke detectors or the batteries in the detectors. The state of Massachusetts fire code suggests smoke detectors need to be changed every 7 years and carbon monoxide detectors need to be changed every 5 years. If they are within the age, add fresh batteries to them. If they are older, then replace them. Invest in the Lithium battery ones that have a permanent battery in them that cannot be removed and has a battery life of 7 years.
- Smoke detectors need to be within 10 feet of a bedroom and you should have one on every floor, including the basement. If you need help with this, call 508.808.1149 or message Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll give you contact information for a professional that changes detectors.
- Today is also a good day to change the batteries in your thermostats! Nothing like waking up to a cold home which could had prevented by just changing of the batteries.
- When was the last time you changed or cleaned out your dryer vent? This is a major reason for home fires as well. Lint gets caught in the line and can create a fire. Make sure that no snow is blocking vents around you home.
- If you have a generator, do NOT run it in the house or in the garage, as it creates carbon monoxide and is a fire hazard. Try to relocate it outside as far from the buildings as possible.